A Quick Dive into CUET- Know Everything for the Upcoming CUET Exam 2022- Syllabus, Previous Year Questions, Important Dates, Syllabus Preparation, Mock Tests & More
The Government of India, under the New Education Policy has declared the Central Universities Entrance Test a mandatory admission requirement. Students seeking admission into Undergraduate programs in central universities (from the academic session 2022-23) have to take the test. Earlier, the test was known as CUCET (Central Universities Common Entrance Test). The exam was first introduced in 2010. It has now been replaced with the name CUET 2022.
CUET 2022 Important Updates:
- Registration Dates– 06 April 2022 to 06 May 2022. Visit https://cuet.samarth.ac.in/
- Tentative Exam Dates– Exam is expected to be held between the 1st and 2nd week of July, 2022 in two slots.
- Exam Slot Duration–
Slot 1: 195 minutes (3:15 hrs.)
Slot 2: 25 minutes (3:45 hrs.)
Why CUET Exam 2022?
The test attempts to change the workings of the education system of the country, from rote learning to outcome-based system.
Conducted by The National Testing Agency (NTA), CUCET is likely to dismiss the board results as the sole criteria for the admission. It will save the students’ time, money and efforts. And, the students will only have to prepare and appear for one common test.
CUET at a Glance:
|Exam Name||Central Universities Entrance Test|
|Conducting Body||National Testing Agency (NTA)|
|Mode of Exam||Online|
|Courses Offered||Undergraduate, Post Graduate and Research Based Programs|
|Exam Level||University Level|
|Type of Questions||Multiple Choice Questions|
|Exam Centers||Around 150|
|Frequency of Exam||Conducted Once a Year|
|Official Website Links||https://cuet.samarth.ac.in/|
CUET Exam 2022 Eligibility Criteria:
The candidate must have passed the 12th standard with a minimum of 60%. If the student is studying in 12th standard, they need to submit the required documents during verification.
- All Indian Nationals are eligible to apply.
- For UG courses: Minimum qualification of 50% for the General category. 5% relaxation shall be given to SC/ST students.
- For PG applicants: 55% aggregate marks for the General category. 5% relaxation to SC/ST students will be given.
- For Ph.D. courses: The candidate must have a postgraduate degree in the particular stream with a minimum of 55% marks for general candidates. 50% marks for OBC candidate and 45% marks for SC/ST/PWD candidate.
- For Ph.D. applicants: Candidates who have qualified CSIR, UGC NET (JRF), GATE, NBHM will have to mandatorily register for the exam. They don’t have to give the entrance test.
CUET Exam 2022 Test Pattern:
The CUCET exam will be conducted in 13 languages: Assamese, Bengali, English, Hindi, Gujarati, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi, Odia, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, and Urdu.
The test will be divided into following sections –
- Languages to be tested through Reading Comprehension
- Domain Specific
- General Aptitude
CUET Exam 2022 Detail Test Pattern:
- Section IA & IB: Languages to be tested through Reading Comprehension
- Section I A- 13 Languages
Language Test Subjects: Assamese, Bengali, English, Hindi, Gujarati, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi, Odia, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, and Urdu
- Section I B- 19 Languages
Optional Language Subjects: Arabic, Bodo, Chinese, Dogri, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Kashmiri, Konkani, Maithili, Manipuri, Nepali, Persian, Russian,
Sindhi, Santhali, Spanish, Tibetan
- Section II- Domain Specific Knowledge
- 27 Specific Domain Subjects-
- Biology/ Biological Studies/ Biotechnology/Biochemistry
- Business Studies
- Computer Science/ Informatics Practices
- Economics/ Business Economics
- Engineering Graphics
- Home Science
- Knowledge Tradition – Practices in India
- Legal Studies
- Environmental Science
- Physical Education/ NCC /Yoga
- Political Science
- Teaching Aptitude
- Mass Media/ Mass Communication
- Art Education Sculpture
- Environmental Studies
- Performing Arts-
(i) Dance (Kathak/ Bharatnatyam/ Oddisi/ Kathakali/Kuchipudi/ Manipuri
(ii) Drama- Theatre
(iii) Music General (Hindustani/ Carnatic/ Rabindra Sangeet/ Percussion/ Non-Percussion)
CUET Exam 2022 Key Points:
- There will be 2 slots for the CUET exam 2022 on different days. Exam slot will be based on the subjects chosen by the candidates. The two slots will be held in a morning and afternoon shift.
- The candidates can take a maximum of 4 tests in Slot 1 (morning shift). These tests include one language from Section IA, maximum of two domain specific subjects from Section II and one General Test from Section III (General Aptitude).
- In Slot 2 (afternoon shift), the candidates can take a maximum of 5 tests in the following ways:
- One language from Section IA & IB and maximum of four domain specific subjects from Section II.
- Two languages from Section IA & IB and maximum of three domain specific subjects from Section II
CUET 2022 Exam Structure
Read the following table to know about the broad structure of CUET 2022 exam-
|Section||No. of Questions||Duration|
|Section IA & IB||
||45 minutes for each language section|
|Section II : Domain Specific Knowledge||
||45 Minutes for each Domain-Specific Subjects|
|Section III : General Aptitude||
CUET Exam 2022 Marking Scheme:
There will be 175 questions in total. A candidate has to ensure to attempt 140 questions out of the total number. The exam will be set in a MCQ pattern. Every correct answer will carry 1 mark each. and there will be a negative marking of 0.25 marks.
CUET Exam 2022 Syllabus:
- For Section IA & IB– This section will focus majorly on language. Questions based on different types of passages–Factual, Literary and Narrative [Literary Aptitude & Vocabulary].
- For Section II– This part will test the Domain Specific Knowledge of the candidate. The students should prepare according to the NCERT model syllabus as applicable to Class XII only.
- For Section III– The third section will have questions from general aptitude. Candidates must focus on the following topics- General Mental Ability, Numerical Ability, General Knowledge, Current Affairs, Quantitative Reasoning, Logical and Analytical Reasoning.
CUET Exam 2022 Section Wise Syllabus Preparation Tips:
The students are advised to concentrate on:
- Practicing reading comprehensions,
- Fundamentals of grammar- incorrect sentences, filling blanks in sentences with appropriate words,
- Vocabulary- synonyms, antonyms
- Word Meanings
The Domain Specific Section will have 27 subjects, from which a student can choose up to 6 subjects. Students are advised to choose language and subjects, which they studied in class 12th board. The candidate must be well versed with the syllabus of the domain subject, as prescribed by their board.
This part of the test is further divided into different subsections. Candidates need to prepare accordingly.
- Algebra Basics
- Number Systems
Logical & Analytical Reasoning:
- Clocks & Calendars
- Logical Sequencing
- Seating Arrangements
- Static GK
- Famous Personalities
- Science & Technology
- Economy & Business
- Prize and Award
- Government & Constitution of India
- Art & Entertainment
- Inventions & Discoveries, etc.
CUET 2022 Mock Test
Solving mock tests helps serve an important purpose. It helps the aspirants to practice from a varied question bank. It will enhance their speed and accuracy. Candidates who take enough mock tests stand a higher chance of scoring more.
CUCET Previous Year Question Papers
To learn about the exam pattern, candidates should go through the previous year’s questions papers and material. Visit the official NTA CUCET website to access the previous year’s CUET question papers.
Benefits of Solving the CUET 2022 Previous Year’s Question Papers
- Make an effective time plan. This can be done by solving multiple papers beforehand.
- Candidates will have a fair idea of the exam pattern by practicing the previous CUCET question papers.
- Candidates can detect their areas of strength and weakness by constant practice. It will become easier for the candidates to improve the weak areas.
- Candidates will be able to determine the recurring topics and repetitive questions.
- It’s a good way of revising all topics and concepts in an effective manner.
How to Find Good Books for CUCET Exam 2022 Preparation
Finding a good reference book is a task in itself.
- Pick the latest edition, containing all the updated information as per the latest syllabus.
- The preparation book should cover majority topics prescribed in the CUET Exam 2022 syllabus.
- There should be ample exercises, questions and sample papers that the candidate can solve for practice.
There are many good and informative books available in the market and online. Students can refer to them, while preparing for the exam. They can also refer to some books given below-
|Name of the Book||Name of Author/ Publisher|
|Arihant’s English Grammar & Composition||S.C. Gupta|
|Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examination||RS Agarwal|
|CUCET Guide & Practice Work Book||Sanjay Kumar|
|Verbal and non-verbal reasoning||R.S. Aggarwal|
|Objective Mathematics Vol. 1 & 2||R.D. Sharma|
|A Problem Book in Mathematical Analysis||G.N. Berman|
|Indian Economy: Performance & Policies||Uma, Kapila|
|Methodology and Perspectives of Social Science||Abhijit Kundu|
|Concept of Physics Vol 1 & 2||H.C. Verma|
|Biology @ Your Fingertips||Rahul Chawla|
Besides, students can refer to their domain specific subject books for both UG and PG courses. Also, the course-related school/college books prove quite helpful.
CUCET Exam 2022 Results:
The results will be announced on the CUET official website within a month after the exam. The candidates will be required to fill in their login details generated at the time of registration. The merit for the same will be prepared on the basis of the marks obtained by the students in the CUET Exam 2022 test.
The students are advised to keep a frequent check of the website of the desired respective universities.